Round Table India (RTI) is an organization of non-political and non-sectarian young men between the age group of 18 and 40. The aim of the young men is to promote service, fellowship and goodwill in national and international affairs. Round Table India, the association, was formed in 1962 with just a membership of 100. It has, over the last 4 decades, grown to become a 3000 member strong association, individuals who can rise above personal concerns to seek and serve the larger needs of the community.
We have 193 chapters called ‘Tables’ located in 90 cities and towns of India, comprising of 3000 young leaders from business, entrepreneurs, technocrats and professionals… all passionate about eradicating illiteracy.
Currently Round Table International exists in 67 countries around the world with a total membership of around 38,000, providing limitless opportunities for members to travel and change their perspective on life, friendships, and service to community. Projects by Round Table Internationally focus on helping young children either by educating them or providing Schools & Health care.
|FREEDOM THROUGH EDUCATION|
Even after 65 years of independence, Millions of Indian children have never, ever been to school. Illiteracy is a self-fulfilling curse that perpetuates the chain of poverty, degradation and child labor. To reach out to this group of underprivileged children, since the year 1996, RTI across the country started adopting projects aimed at providing quality school infrastructure, and then in 1998 this project was formalized and thus born the National Project of Round Table India “Freedom Through Education” – In pursuit of educating underprivileged children
Round Table India’s focus on Infrastructure-Building is aimed at promoting Education for Posterity and hence RTI has put in colossal efforts to build FTE School Blocks across the nation.
What exactly do we do through FTE And Our School Building Model?
UNDER THE FTE PROGRAM, our Members (called Tablers) identify needy Schools for underprivileged that are operating from dilapidated or open structures; schools that have land available but little resources to take up big ticket expenditures like Construction. It is here that RTI steps in and builds School Blocks with Amenities across India to help such efforts and hands over newly constructed quality school Blocks to the school bodies.
Following are some of the bare necessities that are facilitated vide Freedom Through Education:
FTE Performance till 30.06.2012 is:
|No. of Schools||1630|
|No. of Classrooms||4372|
|Total Outlay||Rs.110 crore|
|Impact to Society||Infrastructure built to impact 4.80 million children in India|
Year-wise Summary of Projects:
|Year||No. of Schools||CR||Project Cost||Landmarks|
|1997-98||48||192||6,60,60,000||FTE formally launched|
|2001-02||53||170||3,46,48,716||Dutch Twinning starts|
|2006-07||422||878||21,13,35,709||NBS Tie-up starts|
|2010-11||35||102||6,44,89,467||P&G Shiksha Tie-up starts|
|2011-12||64||249||13,42,94,260||Infinity Tie-up starts|
|FTE Achievements and Milestones|
- Gujarat Earthquake Aftermath – First Organization to rebuild 20 Schools in Kutch & Surendranagar (Bhuj) within 4 months. Azim Premji Foundation contributes Rs.80 Lacs on a total outlay of Rs.2.4 Crores
- Operation Tsunami – RTI is only NGO entrusted by TN Government to work in Tsunami affected areas for rebuilding of schools. 126 Schools built at a cost of 25 Crores and commemorated in presence of His Excellency Governor Surjit Singh Barnala.
- “Operation Sadhbhavana” for Orissa Cyclone Relief in 1999-2000 – Construction of 4 Schools at a cost of Rs.2 Million directly by the Tables in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack. Subsequently another 6 Schools built.
- Government Tie Ups – Credibility of FTE saw the Governments of AP, Karnataka, and TN commit to Round Table India, financial support up to 80% for any School development project taken-up.
- 75 schools built in Andhra Pradesh under Project Janmabhoomi;
- Projects worth Rs.25 Million completed under Sarva Shiksha Abhiyanin Tamil Nadu;
- 150 schools under Project Pathshala with Govt of Karnataka.
- Recently 55 Classrooms & 22 Toilet Blocks inaugurated in Chennai at hands of President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
- 100 Schools built at a cost of Rs.60 Million in matching partnership with Round Table Netherlands and doubling by International Aid Agencies like CORDAID & NOVIB
- 22 Schools built in partnership with MV Foundation in Nalagonda and Ranga Reddy backward districts
- Dutch World Tour for Children – Group of 45 Dutch Nationals traveled across the country. 18 Schools were built with Euro 90,000 contribution leading to total spending of Euro 300,000
- ‘Freedom Through Education’ has Twice been awarded the prestigious ‘Best National Project’ of World Council of Service Clubs (WOCO)… an umbrella organization of Community Service Associations across 80 Countries
- RTI is selected by P&G as Primary Partner for their Shiksha Program. P&G has contributed Rs.9.1 Crores since 2010.
- RTI is selected by Infinity Foundation for their CSR Program. Infinity has contributed Rs.25 lacs in 2011.
- New Business School, Amsterdam has partnered with RTI and contributed Euros 300,000 since 2009.
|Expertise, Resources and Geographical Reach|
- Over the years RTI has gained an in-depth experience of handling FTE projects. In order to ensure that consistency in designs and norm are met across FTE projects, a well laid out Guidelines for construction is issued to all tables when a project is been sanctioned.
- Once a project is granted and as it progresses, a strict check is required to ensure that all norms and procedures are followed. This is made easy for tables by following a simple checklist. This checklist takes care of all paperwork and associated groundwork.
- A State-of-the-Art Secretariat in Chennai, doing the required follow-up for first level of compliance and maintaining Archives & Documentation related to the projects, enables the smooth functioning of the Administration.
- The numerous Builders / bureaucrats / professionals / politicians within the Round Table India only make it much easier for it to bring their expertise in, wherever and whenever required.
- RTI is spread across 90+ Cities & Towns as Tabling Centers. New Centers are added each year
- Tablers understand that the need for schools and community developments initiatives are often within interiors and away from Centers. Often Donors too wish to address the lacunae within a particular location close to factories / native places etc. Hence Tablers have often identified, evaluated, commenced and completed needy projects, building School Blocks, hundreds of Kilometers away from base cities.
- Enough example exist and some of them are;
- Raipur Round Table 169’s Gurukul School in Kondagaon… 250 kms away in Chattisgarh interiors
- Post Gujarat earthquake, 20 schools built by Ahmedabad & Surat Tables in Bhuj… 800 kms away
- Post Tsunami, 260 Schools were built by Tables hundreds of Kilometers along Tamil Nadu Coastline
- Vizag RT 77 built 151 Toilet blocks across 72kms wide Rajahmundry Region, 212Kms from Vizag
- RTI is hence equipped with its expertise, systems and resources to undertake projects at any location within India as driven by the needs of a Donor or the Community
|Scale, Delivery and Impact|
- Round Table India has over the last decade achieved an average growth rate of 24%. This in itself is an indicator of the rate at which this organization is impacting its communities.
- Going by current numbers, it is projected that by the year 2020, Round Table India would complete more than 7000 Classrooms and impacting more than 45 Lac children
- Comparing Total Impact of a Contribution towards education can be misleading. Donations of a single pencil, or providing a classroom… both create an impact. Round Table India’s approach has been to contribute in field of Infrastructure, that has recurring long term gains as compared to short term benefits of donating perishables
- Additionally, the IMPACT of Building INFRASTRUCTURE is clearly MEASURABLE & Easily VERIFIABLE
- Consider – a current cost of Rs.2.93 Lacs for building a classroom of 400 Sq. Ft with peripherals
- 44 Children per batch per class in the first year benefited, i.e. 1100 children over a life cycle of 25 years,
- Working out to a mere Rs.266.36 per Child required for Infrastructure.
- Interpolating to Rupee Terms… hence @ Rs. 266.26 per child, each Rs.1 Crore spent provides Quality School Blocks for 37,600 children, impacting them directly
- The indirect impact of creating a quality infrastructure for education within an underprivileged community is far reaching and cannot be quantified.
- The Charitable Activities of RTI are carried through its Registered (U/s 80G IT Act & FCRA) Trust “RTI Trust”.
- The Admin Activities are funded through contribution received from Tablers and Misc Income under “RTI”. Hence the Trust is operated as a Zero Overhead Cost, ensuring donations are utilized in Toto for FTE
- Treasury Operations of Both Accounts (Admin & Charity) are maintained separately and audited each year.
- Internal Audit of Trust is conducted by M/s B.B Naidu & Co. Chennai. Statutory Audit is conducted by M/s Somasundaram & Siva Raman & Co. Chennai.
- Audited Accounts are published each year as part of the Annual Report of RTI (can be made available)
- Memorandum Of Understandings (MoU’s) signed with various state Governments and their willingness to partner with RTI in eradicating illiteracy, exemplifies the credibility of Round Table India.
- Our credibility is even better justified and demonstrated, when public personalities such as Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam, Shri. Surjith Singh Barnala- Governor of Tamil Nadu, Shri. Narendra Modi – Chief Minister of Gujarat, grace School inauguration or foundation stone-laying programs.
- The Philosophy of being a Zero Overhead Organization has impressed Celebrities who have willingly come forward to support Freedom Through Education at no cost. Officially Appointed who have graced our media interaction and Round Table Events include
- Ajay Devgan, Kajol Devgan, R. Madhavan, Ehsaan (Of Shankar Ehsaan Loy)…
- Narain Karthikeyan, Sabeer Bhatia, R.K Mishra (Winner of LEAD India), Prahlad Kakkar (Ad Film Maker)
- More Celebrities are in process of being added at appropriate media conferences / events
- Internationally, Donors & Aid Agencies have partnered with RT India. These include the renowned funding agency- CORDAID, New Business School – Amsterdam, RT International, RT Netherlands, RT Great Britain & Ireland, RT Norway, and Individual Foundations across Europe and USA.
- RT India maintains compliance of all FCRA regulations for receipt and use of International Funds
|Branding / Ownership|
- Schools Built by RTI often consist of Donors from Corporate / Government / NGO / International Organizations. In such case the School is always branded appropriately with the Donor’s name prominently displayed externally across the block and internally on the Donor Plaque too.
- Standardized Donor Templates are made available to ensure branding continuity / uniformity.
- Agreement signed with School Trust on Building Ownership of same to dually display branding & prevent misuse
Donors are encouraged to engage themselves in manner of their choosing. Corporate Donors often do the same through their employees. Creating opportunities to interact vide visits; recurring programs, weekend training (if in vicinity), festival celebrations, short trips, Chief Guests at Inaugurations & Annual Days etc are normally a regular feature of donor engagement modules.
With best regards,
Tr. Tushar Agarwal
National Convenor – Projects
Round Table India